Thursday, January 7, 2010

Christmas and New Years in Houston, TX

We had a non stop week of fun staying at my parent's new loft in downtown Houston this Christmas. We arrived Christmas day to a wonderful turkey dinner and lots of presents to open. The next day Aunts, Uncles and cousins arrived from Oregon and San Diego. My Grandma from Colorado came out too. That night, my brother brought over a fabulous Turducken he ordered (it's a Cajun thing- turkey stuffed with duck stuffed with chicken and has Cajun spices inside-yum). The eating did not stop there, the next day we went to the best Tex Mex around... Pappasitos! I always miss the fajitas when I come back to San Diego. That night, we went to the TransSiberian Orchestra http://www.trans-siberian.com/about/index.php . We traveled down to Kemah the next day which is near the area where I grew up. Nate just loved the restaurant with the giant aquariums. The next day, we went to the famous (best shopping around!) Houston Galleria. That night, we found a bar that had 200 beers on draught! Dave and I even got to go on a couple of dates during all of this (we cannot thank you enough, mom!). We went bowling at a modern bowling alley called Lucky Strikes. http://www.bowlluckystrike.com/ The next day Gene and Barb arrived (Dave's parents). It was so great they could join in the fun. And since we hadn't eaten enough this trip (j/k), we headed to Taste of Texas which has AMAZING steaks. Then, New Years Eve, we spent most of the day getting ready for the BIG party. My dad and his friend co-hosted a big event in one of the party rooms in their building. My mom's brother, Pat and his wife, Jan, arrived this day from Oklahoma. The party was amazing! My parents did such a great job planning.

Mom and I

Dad and I

Aunt Judy came from San Diego and cousin Lexi from Bend, OR

Aunt Janet and Keith came from Bend, Oregon

Aunt Judy, Grandma, Janet, and John

Uncle Pat and Jan drove down from Oklahoma


Gene, Barb, Dave, me


Dave and his Rib Eye at Taste of Texas


Mom and Dad at Taste of Texas


Nate helping Gene and Barb open their presents


Dave and I at Flying Saucer


Jason, Dave, me, Naomi, Judy, Dad at Flying Saucer

We met up with my good friend, Liz, and her family. Carmen (2yrs old), Taggart, baby Ruby (3 weeks), Nate, and I. Empire Cafe was one of our favorite hang out spots in high school so I always like going back.

Nice view from the loft


checking out the fish


The balloon lady made Nate a dog at Pappasitos. Then he popped the whole thing with his teeth.


The band played Nate an Elmo song

We went to Sunday lessons and songs at the Episcopal church my parents go to.


Cousin Logan, Aunt Judy, Nate, and Cousin Paul playing with Jason's old train set.


Turducken... It tastes much better than it looks here


Naomi and I. Naomi is Jason's Fiance. They plan to get married in 2011


Nate playing with Jason's old barn


Dad and Nate playing with his new firestation Duplo block set.


Nate and my mom opened presents together


Nate was quick to help everyone open their presents

Jason cooked a fabulous Turkey. When are you starting your personal chef service, Jason?


The happy couple


This is the surfer statue just down the street from us in Cardiff. We left our house on Christmas day for the trip and noticed someone put a Santa hat on the figure.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing write-up, Kelly. This must have taken hours to post, but what good memories. Too bad I was sick for most of them. So glad you were able to spend the week with us and can't wait to see you guys again. Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete